- Joshu asked Nansen: `What is the path?’
- Nansen said: `Everyday life is the path.’
- Joshu asked: `Can it be studied?’
- Nansen said: `If you try to study, you will be far away from it.’
- Joshu asked: `If I do not study, how can I know it is the path?’
- Nansen said: `The path does not belong to the perception world, neither does it belong to the nonperception world. Cognition is a delusion and non-cognition is senseless. If you want to reach the true path beyond doubt, place yourself in the same freedom as sky. You name it neither good nor not-good.’
- At these words Joshu was enlightened.
In spring, hundreds of flowers;
In autumn, a harvest moon;
In the summer, a refreshing breeze;
In winter, snow will accompany you.
If useless things do not hang in your mind,
Any season is a good season